Friday, March 28, 2014

The transplant time has arrived.

March 26, 2014 11:11 am. Incoming call... -Hello, Mrs Harrison? -Yes, this is.. -Hi, this is Eric from nephrology. We got a kidney for Olivia... Hello, are you there? - What? Are you serious? She is getting a kidney? You're sure? How many are ahead of her... Are you sure? - Yes Mrs. Harrison. She is number 2 on the list but there are 2 kidneys & both kids are getting one. You need to bring Olivia to the hospital now, and admit her to Helen Devos.  -Oh my God, thank you, thank you, thank you...  (Tears roll down. Body shakes. Legs give out. Can't talk. Can't breathe; but I have to...I have to talk...have to call Peter... Oh my gosh Peter. How do I say it so it doesn't hit him the same way it hit me. I Dial his number with my shaking fingers...) From that point on all I remember is running thru traffic lights to get Olivia as soon as we could to the hospital... She was not happy. She wasn't prepared; nobody was. She kept crying hard & repeating..."but mama, you told me no Dr. appointments today...but you promised me". Heartbreak ...but in the midst of all this, one thing is sure; God had the perfect time and a perfect plan for Livi. We just had to stop, accept our pain, shut the scary thoughts out, and listen to His voice, for His call, His work, and His Love.  When we got to the hospital, we were told that Olivia would be 2nd on the list. There was a chance that the child who was 1st could use both (in case their body rejected one of them)...we were told 7:00 p.m was when everything would be finalized. They got Olivia's IV started so they could start the lab work for the final match around 2:00 pm.  Waiting for seven a clock was even harder than getting the phone call; is was hard to imagine this ending this with..."Well....maybe we'll get it next time". At this point, we're numb. Face. Body. Frozen.  4:00...5:00...6:00...7:00... Nothing...  Here I sit, in the middle of a room full of encouraging family & friends; I write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment