Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Back in the hospital.


After somewhat a "better" couple of days we noticed this weekend that Olivia didn't seem like herself. She was showing a lot of discomfort, pain & tiredness mostly Saturday and Sunday during the day. Monday morning we went to the hospital as usual to get her labs and as we're waiting for the results I decided to call the pharmacy to refill her immunosuppressant med since it was increased drastically this past Friday. After I got to speak to the RX I was confused at the dose that they were quoting to what I was told to give her this weekend. Like a loud thunder the idea of something being wrong with this prescription hit me. You know when u see a lightening and you start counting to see how close the thunder will hit to further find out what the damages are going to be.... I start panicking, hung up on the representative and start running around the hallway asking the nurses to see Livi's doctor. She came right away and yes, my fear was real... The counting went like this: 1-2-3, than another lightening...1-2,and than...ONE. For the past four days,Olivia was prescribed the wrong dose because the pharmacy had sent us a different concentration to what the dr. had prescribed. She had been taking, double the dose, on double the concentration of this very toxic medicine. I couldn't even breath from the panic. Peter being the calmer one tried to ease my mind by saying that at least we caught it sooner than later but my panic couldn't allow my thoughts to calm down nor my body to stop shaking... After a couple of hours we got the lab results with the phone call of having to re-admit Olivia in the hospital,again. The kidney function had decreased so being so close to the transplant they had to treat this case as an " acute kidney failure". She has been on IV fluids since yesterday and that is slowly helping on bringing that function back but not fast enough for us to go home yet. It's really frustrating and hurtful to see Livi take these steps back after all those nights we've spent to make her more comfortable with the new routine :(. She doesn't seem to have much thirst today at all. We don't know if it's nausea or a bad aftertaste in her mouth due to the new meds. Either way she needs to start drinking or accepting more fluids put in her belly without trying to throw-up for the hospital to even consider discharging her. So for now, we sit in one of our old rooms, waiting... I will try to update the blog tomorrow and as always all the prayers are much needed and appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment